Supported through an educational grant from Genentech.
Upon completion of this activity, the participant should be able to:
• Recall patient risk factors and the range of symptoms of Giant Cell Arteritis, based on relevant classification and diagnostic criteria to confidently add GCA as a differential diagnosis.
• Distinguish the visual abnormalities and ischemic events associated with Giant Cell Arteritis versus other causes.
• Formulate treatment options for patients with recently diagnosed Giant Cell Arteritis, including GC-sparing regimens, second-line therapy.
• Evaluate treatment options for patients with relapsing Giant Cell Arteritis, glucocorticoid-resistant GCA, and necessity of long term management.
• Outline the underlying inflammatory processes involved in GCA and the evidence for targeted FDA approved therapy and emerging therapies for the treatment of GCA, including their use as second-line therapy.
Evolve Medical Education LLC (Evolve) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Credit Designation Statement
Evolve designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Leonard H. Calabrese, DO
Professor of Medicine
Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University
Vice Chairman, Department of Rheumatic and Immunological Diseases
R. J. Fasenmyer Chair of Clinical Immunology
Michael S. Lee, MD
Professor, Department of Neurosurgery
Professor, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Neurosciences
Professor, Department of Neurology
Mackall-Scheie Research Chair, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Neurosciences
University of Minnesota Medical School
The following faculty/staff members have the following financial relationships with commercial interests:
Leonard Calabrese, DO, has had a financial agreement or affiliation during the past year with the following commercial interests in the form of Consultant: Abbvie; Bristol Myers Squibb; Crescendo Bioscience; Genentech; Jansen; and Regeneron Pharmaceuticals.
Michael S. Lee, MD, has had a financial agreement or affiliation during the past year with the following commercial interests in the form of Grant/Research Support: Quark Pharmaceuticals.
The views and opinions expressed in this educational activity are those of the faculty and do not necessarily represent the views of Evolve, or Genentech.